Do I Need a Septic Waiver? Understanding Septic System Regulations

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Sep 26, 2017 10:00:00 AM

If your home is removed significantly from access to city sewer lines, then constructing a septic system on your property is the most efficient and cost-effective way of wastewater treatment and disposal. These systems (referred to in most California legal documents as “onsite wastewater treatment systems,” or OWTS) are particularly common in rural or suburban residential areas.

Read More

Topics: septic services

Building Permits for Residential Projects: What You Need to Know

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Aug 14, 2017 10:00:00 AM

Whether you are a residential property developer or a homeowner looking to add some improvements to your property, you need to understand the basics of building permits and when they are required. In the majority of situations, if you are building a new structure on a residential property—be it a brand-new house or an addition to an old one—you will need to obtain a permit from your local building council. Knowing how to get a permit, where you need to apply, and how much you can expect to pay, can help make the process that much smoother.

Read More

Everything You Need to Know about Your Legal Description of Property

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jul 5, 2017 10:00:00 AM

If you are in the process of buying or selling a piece of property, then “legal description” is one of the terms you are likely to hear repeatedly. In the simplest of terms, a legal description is a formal, written property description of some specific area. Legal descriptions are utilized together with Grant Deeds, to transfer a piece of land from one owner to another (or for other legal purposes). Grant Deeds convey the rights, and the legal description describes the unique location of the property, and often includes notes about boundaries, landmarks, and other identifying details.

Read More

Topics: land surveying

Frequently Asked Questions About Septic Services

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jun 28, 2017 10:30:00 AM

On Site Septic services or Onsite Wastewater Treatment (O.W.T.) are among the civil engineering services we offer at Hogan Land Services. We can help you test your soils, identify an appropriate spot for a leach field, plan the appropriate-sized septic tank for your building, and monitor the installation of your new or repaired septic system. Below, we’ve answered a few of the questions about our septic services that we tend to hear most frequently from prospective clients.

Read More

Topics: septic services

Why You Need An Expert Witness For Property Line Disputes

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jun 21, 2017 10:00:00 AM

In most cases, the ownership of private property is clearly defined. When it comes to land, though, it’s easy for differing interpretations of boundary locations to cause disputes between neighbors. Perhaps your neighbor recently built a fence that you believe extends a foot or two into your yard. Alternatively, maybe your neighbor has accused you of a similar type of encroachment.  Either way, these disagreements usually won’t be resolved through a quick compromise.  Your land is among your most valuable assets, and if a neighbor is telling you that you don’t own as much land as you thought you did, it can ignite a major conflict between the two of you.

Read More

Topics: land surveying, boundary surveys

How A Land Services Company Can Help with Grading Violation Resolution

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jun 14, 2017 10:30:00 AM

The grading process is essential for most building, development, and land improvement projects. An engineered grade ensures a stable, pre-specified slope on and around the property to be developed. Grading is closely related to drainage. If you are building a house, the “grade” of your property needs to slope slightly away from the house at all points. This sloped design ensures that rainwater and other runoff are directed away from the home and its foundation. If grading is not done properly, it can result in water pooling against the foundation. Over time, this water can compromise the integrity of the foundation, leading to cracks, differential settlement and other costly issues.

Read More

Topics: violation resolution

Condominiums vs. Townhouses: What You Need to Know from a Land Surveying Perspective

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jun 12, 2017 10:00:00 AM

Whether you are developing a property for multi-residential use or converting an existing property into a different kind of use, it’s important to know how land surveying and permitting will impact your project. In the residential sector, it is important to recognize the difference between condominiums and townhouses. While these two types of residential housing are often referenced interchangeably, they have differences regarding design and land development procedures.

Read More

Violation Troubleshooting Process – Dealing with Building Code Violations

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Jun 8, 2017 10:30:00 AM

Do you have a violation on your property preventing you from beginning a development project? Have you been denied a permit to move forward with your proposed building or development process? Has your project been halted mid-development for a supposed violation of code or regulation? If a local government agency has stopped you from completing your project, it can result in costly delays and other expenses, not to mention a major hassle for you and your team. Getting your project started again, or negotiating with the necessary agencies to get it underway is essential to avoiding potential delays and additional cost.

Read More

Topics: structural engineering

The Importance Of Stormwater Management

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Apr 26, 2017 11:00:00 AM

At Hogan Land Services, we specialize in a range of different civil engineering services, including grading and drainage design. Working with property owners, developers, and various agency regulations, we help plan and implement systems that help with stormwater management. But what precisely does a stormwater management plan entail, and why does every property need one? Read on to learn more about stormwater runoff and the stormwater solutions that we provide.

Read More

Topics: stormwater management

Septic Services: Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Hogan Land Services on Apr 19, 2017 10:30:00 AM

Whether you’re remodeling your home, adding a new accessory dwelling unit or developing a lot from scratch, the subject of onsite wastewater treatment and disposal—also known as the septic system—is going to play a key role in the scope of the project.   Quite often, big plans for development are suddenly changed in size or location when the parcel’s capacity for septic disposal is not considered.  The fact is, septic disposal capacity on a parcel is the driving factor to what can be built on it. 

Read More

Topics: septic services, septic system design, percolation tests